2013年5月26日星期日

What Are the Suggested Medicine for My Insomnia with Kidney Failure


Q: I had Kidney Failure for 1.5 years. What made me upset is my sleep problem. In some night, I even cannot have a good rest for 1 hour. I try to use sleep pills, but I am afraid whether it is okay for my kidneys. Can you tell me how manage insomnia with Kidney Failure?

A: I saw your note on line about using sleeping pills for those with kidney failure. My nephrologist says it is not a good idea. I use 5-HTP which you can get at Walmart or Organic Whole Food stores, other drug stores too. 5-HTP is a natural substance that the body usually converts to Serotonin and then to Melatonin. When we eat turkey at Thanksgiving, etc, we tend to sleep very well that night. The reason is it is full of Tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted into 40 different things in our body, one of which is 5-HTP and the only thing 5-HTP is converted to is as stated above. Serotonin helps us be calm and Melatonin is the last of the changes which help us to sleep.

100 mg of 5-HTP taken at dinner time will make a huge change in how you sleep in a natural way that does not harm your kidneys. It does come in 50 mg as well. My education as an HHP (Holistic Health Practitioner) is that it is not recommended to take over 150mg. I hope this helps you to sleep. It does it for me. I have been on home hemo for 2.5 years.

If you need more info about 5-HTP, please email to kidneyask@hotmail.com and also I happen to find some herbs which can deal with sleep problem naturally in Kidney Disease patients.

没有评论:

发表评论

Expert Online